thank you for the music.

I write this sitting in bed, after having consumed the remainder of two very scrumptious (and by default very fattening) cookies. Not a very good thing to do when your body's about to turn off all calorie-burning mechanisms for no less than six hours.

Summer has passed so fast, but I am glad that autumn is approaching, because frankly, heat (yes I am addressing you, heat)  you are absolutely abhorrent and impossible to live with, and I don't know how your girlfriend/wife stands you.  Anyway, a lot of things have happened during these past two months,  but it is only today that I decided to write about this, because this is not something my flashy uber-successful blog should miss out on: Machrou3 Leila.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers (who came on the 6th of September) were great. But I was not compelled to return home and write about them.

This band has managed to blow minds. The music of Machrou3 Leila, in my humble opinion, is a bittersweet ode to life in our society today. And the music is simply divine (like a cookie that melts in your mouth but not off your hips). When you listen to it, you just want to close your eyes, and let your body and your mind simmer in the beauty of the notes. You have no choice. So it is fair to say, that the people who composed and performed it are nothing short of geniuses.

Since the members of the band all graduated from the same department as mine, I somehow did not feel, as I watched on, that they were inaccessible stars. I felt like they were acquaintances, maybe even friends. (Well, I knew them, I am pretty confident that they never knew me). But this background that brings us together, made it seem as though this music was as ours as it was theirs. In some way, they implicated us in their music, and it felt both welcoming and warm.

There is only one way for me to end this, and I will quote ABBA who did not go wrong when they sang "Thank you for the music." Thank you Machrou3 Leila, for this beautiful music that is so different, yet so homely. You have created a landmark for Beirut, or Lebanon; in your music, which is now part of the city's identity as a whole.

And I wonder, where will you be in ten years? Or twenty?
You will never read this, I know, but I write it nonetheless. Half a dozen of readers (excluding my mom) will read this.

So on this note, I leave you, my dearest readers.
Tomorrow is another day, said Scarlett.

Sarette.

Comments

Popular Posts